Monday, February 5, 2007

John, Paul, George & Ben, by Lane Smith

John Hancock, Paul Revere, George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Tom Jefferson are introduced as school lads: John writes his name too big, Paul is very loud, George is honest, Ben is very clever, and Tom is independent. Most behaviors are not appreciated by their teachers or class mates. "Say you want a revolution," well these are the lads to do it! The American Revolution, of course. From the endpapers, title page, and throughout till the CIP there are small humorous details referencing American history. The illustrations are done on textured paper and handmade parchment; the font is Early American, and photographs include classic portraits of the "lads". Throughout this very tongue-in-cheek and humorous portrayal is great attention to detail and facts with a page following the text, "Wherein we set the record straight with ye olde True or False section."

Grades 4-8

4 comments:

MESBrannon said...

I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are quirky and the writing is laugh-out-loud funny. The endnotes where they "set the record straight" are also injected with humor and provide lots of spark for discussion.

lmbregler said...

I have to admit that the first time I saw this book the format put me off. After reading it, my mind was changed. The humor is not upstaged by the facts, though the humor is what carries them. I can see this book being used as an introduction to the Colonial Era or as a light hearted reminder of some of the facts.

Brucie said...

I was prepared to dislike this book, but by the time I finished it, I was converted. Our students know so little about American history. This approach highlights a few important facts about some key figures in the American Revolution and debunks some myths along the way.

M. Bonomo said...

I admit I picked this one up with some mixed feelings, but it was wonderful. What a terrific way to get kids interested in the subject of social studies! It would make a great introduction to the American Revolution. In fact my copy was snapped up immediately by one of my 5th grade teachers.